Five High Street Pubs
Lord Nelson | Bull | Oxford Inn | Green Man | Greyhound
Map images produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd . and Ordnance Survey
Lord Nelson (Closed 1966)Number 4 on 1757 map
Town sign and Lord Nelson pub sign,
another Bullards house
(late 50's - early 60's)
Nelson Place shopping precinct where the pub once stood.
Part of the Town sign in top left hand corner.
Kelly's 1883 entry - Hendry, Cornelius, Lord Nelson, High street (9)
Number 6 on 1757 map
These gentlemen are striding purposely out of town.
Probably something to do with the 1904 Agricultural Show (See page 9 of (2))
They could have had a drink in The Bull, on the right.
Watneys closed the Bull in 1969, it re-opened about 10 years later as a Freehouse. Later Greene King took it over, they run it as a managed house.
Before the High St was 'one-wayed'
Kelly's 1883 entry - Hurn, James, Bull, High street (9)
Oxford Inn (closed 1909)Norfolk Pubs
Kelly's 1883 entry - Butter Henry, The Oxford, High street (9)
Green Man (Closed 1917)Number 9 on 1757 map
Following the demolition of the Gilbert Rice site in preparation for a major shopping
development an archaeological dig has started on the foundations of the Green Man
as seen in these photos taken 25 Feb 2004
Kelly's 1883 entry - Dickerson George, Green Man, High street (9)
Greyhound Inn (Closed 1934)Norfolk Pubs
(Kelly's 1922 also shows George Bowles as landlord, it appears that it was kept by father and son for 45 years - 1875-1923)
Kelly's 1883 entry - Bowles George, Greyhound inn, High street (9)