Homepage



Red Lion

Quebec Street

Norfolk Pubs

A Pub on the Move - The location of the Red Lion is variously described as Red Lion Square (Pigot 1830), Red Lion hill (Robson's 1839), Quebec St (White's 1854), Red Lion Street (Kelly's 1883), Chancery Lane (Kelly's 1908), and currently Quebec Street.


Red Lion Street

Red Lion Street, showing the Plough and Furrow on the left,
Conservative Club centre, and Red Lion right
(Feb 2004)

Red Lion, WW1

Red Lion, WW1

Some things never change

Local 'Squaddies' parking up and going for a pint in the Red Lion (extreme left)
Some things change for the worse
What a pity that the old Post Office (right of centre) was replaced by the present montrosity.
It would not be allowed today.

Kelly's 1883 entry - Clements, Richard, Red Lion, Red Lion street (8)

Licensees

JAMES COBB 1776
MARTIN BONE 1796
WIDOW MIDDLETON 1812 - 1815
DANIEL LOVE 1822
WILLIAM COOPER 1830 - 1836
SAMUEL HOWARTH 1839 - 1854
RICHARD CLEMENTS 1856 - 1883
ROBERT RICHES 1888 - 1890
EDWIN DEARHAM 1891 - 1896
GEORGE MAYES 1900 - 1916
EDWARD WILSON by 1922
HERBERT RICHARD PEACOCK 22.08.1924
IVY LILIAN PEACOCK 24.04.1940
CECIL JENNINGS HOWES 24.05.1940 to 1957 +
JIMMY & PEGGY HOWES c1962
WILLIAM H G STEWARD 1965 - 1969
REGGIE MOORE 21.11.1969
GEORGE & CAROL MEEHAN 21.01.1973
JOHN & MAUREEN SMITH c1980
MIKE GARNER 1984 - 2001
PETER CLAXTON 2001 - 2002
CHRIS STEARMAN 2002 - 2011
TREVOR & LESLIE MANN 2011 - PRESENT

Leslie Mann
Leslie Mann

Homepage